The Texas Equity Toolkit
The Texas Equity Toolkit has been designed to mirror a continuous improvement process with the hope that this structure allows for three things to occur:
The equity planning process fits within a district's annual continuous improvement process.
- The district's continuous improvement process results in increasing equitable access.
- The districts already comfortable with the continuous improvement process can interact with the toolkit just in those places where it provides a benefit to them.
For the 2022-2023 school year, LEAs will not be expected to submit new equity plans. LEAs should review their current plans locally, consider opportunities for revision, and implement the identified strategies accordingly. More details on equity planning, strategies, implementation, and state data can be found in the Texas Equity Plan Toolkit.
The agency will notify an LEA based on the identification of significant gaps in student growth for low-income students and students of color, by December 2022. Only LEAs with equity gaps greater than 10 percent will receive a notification. If your LEA receives a notification, that means that it has equity gaps greater than 10 percent and your LEA may be required to submit an Equity plan to the agency in 2023-2024 if equity gaps do not decrease.
For the 2021–2022 school year, districts should review their current ESSA equity plans locally, consider opportunities for revision, and implement the identified strategies accordingly. As you revisit your plan, if you made revisions, we appreciate having the most up-to-date and current plans in our ISAM system. Resubmission will not be required unless you have been contacted.
- In December 2019, TEA notified districts that have had student growth equity gaps greater than 10 percent in two of the last three years of their need to create an equity plan and submit between March 2nd and (extended to July 1st, 2020.)
- Districts that are identified may be eligible for priority points in various funding/grant programs through TEA (GYO, Principal Residency Grants, Mentorship Allotment, Teacher Leadership grants, etc.) to provide further support in closing equity gaps.
- The Texas Equity Toolkit website has been revised to support the creation of equity plans under this new process, and ESC Equity teams will be able to provide training on the revised equity planning process to interested districts.
- For further clarification on equity gap calculations download the Equity Gap Calculation document.
Equity Gap Calculation Document
- For a list of resources to support your local Equity Plan development by topic areas, download the Appendix of Resources document.
Appendix of Resources